Pages

Tuesday 26 November 2013

The images / results

Here are some of the images returned by participants.    I talk a bit, below, about each, but not in a particularly deep way. I'd be very interested in any feedback on the drawings, either on their own terms or in terms of the blacky test in general or this project in particular.

The top image here shows the text sent with the image returned underneath, followed by a larger version of the image. 





In the above I particularly like the detail and the way the participant has picked up on the family situation.   I suppose the infantilised language of the text prompted the content of the image, although I didn't really think before sending that this might be the case.  I also like the dynamic character of the scene - everyone seems to have a strongly felt input into the situation.


Below follows the same structure - text and image together, then image . 


This one (above) is much more sketchy.  What I find particularly interesting is that although the text focuses on 'feeling', 'thinking' and 'guilt', the characters both look slightly frozen, as if they're keeping any feelings they might have tightly under control...
 

Below, another two following the format above.



I am very impressed by the detail and emotional content of this one! Everything is drawn in rather intense detail, particularly the contents of the 'Sex Shop'. However,  I also very much like the mixed expressions of the family: the child intently curious, the mother seemingly trying to look elsewhere and pretend she doesn't know what's going on, and the father - who knows what that pinched expression means? Disapproval?  Self-control? I also like the Tesco bag, perhaps for no other reason than the incongruous element it introduces into the narrative - the family go shopping, then take a walk home... through the red light district.


Below I've made a mistake with my gluing. No other reason for the image to be on top and the text beneath. 




I like the map-like quality of the one above. It seems, of all the images, to be the one that's the least like a picture and more like a diagram or model of the forces which seem to be hinted at in the text. Although the trees have something of a liveliness about them. 


This is the final card I got back, below:



This one I like because the characters seem very engaging. At least, there's something about the smile of the dreamer that suggests he's a pleasant sort of person, although perhaps troubled.  Mama in his dream looks quite nubile rather than maternal, but I suppose the Blacky test is testing for Freudian content... Nice linework as well, lots expressed with a great economy of means.


No comments:

Post a Comment